From the same book, Building with Assurance, I bring you house #16. A slightly larger Georgian styled house, it measures in at nearly 3,000 sf, a number seen in the smallest houses built today.


This is almost too much of a house for me, what do you think? I love the gracious entry hall with flanking living and dining rooms. I would remove the doors to the front hall and open up the kitchen a bit more to get rid of the fussy breakfast nook and pantry, otherwise I think this is a great floorplan for modern living. In favor of a larger kitchen, one could forgo the seperate dining room and place a table in the sunroom, facing the garden with additional access to the kitchen near the basement stairs. Then the dining room and kitchen could become a very large eat-in kitchen.
On the second floor, a generous master bedroom with a fireplace and lovely porch is already in place, but I'm sure along the way it would have been glassed in. I'm ambivalent either way (glassed in or not) but I would definitely want to carve out an en-suite bathroom. The rear bedroom and existing bath would need to be reconfigured to that end, hopefully also providing a walk-in closet for the master suite.While I'm getting rid of a bedroom (or possibly two) on the second floor, don't forget the attic has 2 bedrooms and its own bath!
 
Top